Blog Post #1 – Toxic tape dispensers?
Hello and welcome everyone! This is my first Blog post(yaaaayyy!). My name is Rosaly Diehl and I am in 10th grade. I am a creative thinking person who loves to design and draw. I am making this blog for an elective class, which I am taking. This class is called Design for change. Design for change is a class which is combined with designing, building, creating things and solving worldwide problems with a design idea. This is a perfect class for me as I love being creative and solving problems…so let me show you what our first design problem was!
The topic we were working on last was fantastic toxic plastics. In this unit, we had to solve Mr. Neals problem which was that the plastic tape dispensers keep breaking. But who invented the tape dispensers? They were invented by John A Borden in 1932. Today many schools have tape dispensers, which get thrown out if they are broken and get replaced quickly, which is bad for the environment. For this, we had to create a solution which should be: eco-friendly, mobile, stable and incorporate a use of the broken models. We then got put into groups and we had to come up with an idea on how to solve this problem.
We started off with the design thinking process. There we had to come up with a few rough ideas on how to solve the problem. We had 5 minutes to draw and write as many things as we possibly could. These ideas could be realistic but also unrealistic. Then we had to work together to ideate the ideas. We shared our ideas and then selected the ones which we could make without having difficulties. We then thought about which would be best for protecting the tape dispenser, which wasn’t expensive and was eco-friendly. We started to prototype our idea and to find out which material we would use. We used the 3D printer to create a clamp which could be put on any table. The material we used was very cheap(PLA) costing no more than 1 euro. It protected the tape dispenser as it was held tight by the clamp. Here are some pictures of our design process.
(Here we spray painted our 3D printed parts of our Clamp↓)
(Prototype which we later changed to the clamp Idea↓)
In this unit, I learned many things while working in a group and discovered how to create an idea which would later be carried out. For this unit we had to do 2 things: 1-figure out how to make the tape dispenser durable so that it doesn’t break 2-but at the same time also mobile. In the end, our final Idea looked like this:
We also had to come up with the solution on how to fix the flywheels of the tape dispenser, which also break very easily. For this we also 3D printed the flywheel, this made it very durable(I know this because Ben(my group member) threw it really hard on the ground and it bounced up against the ceiling and back on the ground and didn’t break!).
While working in our groups I learned, from my group member Ben, a little bit how to use the 3D printer. I also learned how to collaborate with a group. This, as I found out, was not always easy, as everybody works differently and not everyone shares how they are planning to carry on working(If you know what I mean). We also had to be careful about how we managed our time in creating our solution and work reasonably. A problem(It’s not really a problem more like an obstacle?) in our group was that Ben is really good at 3D printing and knows exactly how to work with the program needed for 3D printing, which I didn’t know. I sometimes tried to help by watching or trying the program out myself(Fusion 360) but I couldn’t really do help him. While he was working on that I worked on our design for the clamp, our prototype(to see if it works) and designing a logo for design for change(even though we didn’t use it then, we used it now for a poster)
After we had completed our solution of Mr. Neal’s problem we presented it to him to get his acceptance of the product, which we got! As our product was the first which could be put on any table and could be clamped tight. It could also be used one handed and the flywheel was very stable and did not break when it was thrown on the ground.
Thank you for reading my first blog post for D4c(design for change). I will continue doing these blog posts after each unit which we have gone through and produced a new design idea. Stay tuned!
Ps: Here’s another picture of our group and our first design(btw don’t mind me I wasn’t prepared for the picture and I think Ben wasn’t either)